Sunday, March 7, 2010

Strength Will Rise...

I follow about a bazillion blogs online related in some fashion to weight loss or adoption. One of my "blogbies"(my word for blog buddies) brought a song to my attention recently.

I've been floundering in the diet arena and worry has overtaken my life. I've been worried about finding the money to adopt, writing the perfect letter to the birth mother, making the perfect profile book so we standout when compared to richer/prettier/better couples wanting the same child as we. I've been worried about Noodle and work stress that I've become weak in my Spirit.

My happiness, chipperness, wittiness, ability to let things go has gone. I've become so overburdened by stress and worry that I am losing little pieces of joy out of my life rather than pounds of fat off my body.

As I continue on my journey, both for adoption and weight loss, I've found myself becoming more grounded in God and growing in the knowledge that I don't have to carry all of this weight alone.

This is a rather big step for me. I've always believed in God but never to the point where I became obsessed or completely dependent on an all knowing God. It always felt like if I just cast away all of my worries, stresses, and concerns then I wasn't dealing with them and I would be seen as weak.

Well, I've been allowing my stress and worries to make me and keep me fat for way too long. Obviously I can't kick the emotional eating habit on my own. I need help. I've been to therapists, counselors, doctors, nutritionists, dietitians, etc. None of it has worked. I've been so envious of my friends who can say, "today is going to suck but I'm giving it to God and I don't have to worry about it anymore." Could it possibly be that easy? How does that work?

Well, I'm going to give it a try.

Getting back to the song I was introduced to, I've listened to it a lot. I've read the lyrics and I think I get it.

Giving up all your cares, worries, concerns, stress to God takes strength and courage. And who shall bestow upon me the strength? Why God of course.

Now, as foreign as this feels to me, I look at it this way: I can continue to do nothing but worry and stress (read: eat) or I can at least try to live by the lyrics. So, here goes nothing:

Everlasting God
Lincoln Brewster

Strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord,
wait upon the Lord, we will wait upon the Lord.
Strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord,
wait upon the Lord, we will wait upon the Lord.

Our God, You reign forever
Our hope, our strong deliverer.
You are the everlasting God,
The everlasting God.

You do not faint,
You won't grow weary.
You're the defender of the weak,
You comfort those in need,
You lift us up on wings like eagles.

The Lord is the everlasting God,
The creator of all the Earth,
He never grows weak or weary,
No one can measure the depths of His understanding,
He gives power to the weak, and strength to the powerless,
Even youth will become weak and tired,
And young men will fall in exhaustion,
But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength,
They will soar high on wings like eagles,
They will run and not grow weary,
They will walk and not faint,

1 comment:

  1. I understand what you mean about giving it up to God. I felt the same way a couple of years ago. But it does take a lot of courage and strength to admit you can't do it all on your own and you need Him.

    You'll be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved | Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations