I did weigh myself as planned. I have my starting point. If I pull off losing 75 pounds by December 13, 2010, I will officially weight less than I did when I met my husband. Coolness.
I've also been to the Rhumatologist. I definately have Fibromyalgia. However, the case is more severe than anyone had thought. I had to have a lot of blood taken and Xrays and some MRIs will be in my immediate future, but I was given a new medication strictly for use in FM patients, Savella. I just started it this week as I had to wait until my blood work came back.
My blood work didn't show any major Rhumatism; however, she cautioned me that just because it did not show this time doesn't mean it won't show in 6 months. What my blood work did show is that I'm as low as humanly possible on Vitamin D.
I have to take a prescription strength Vitamin D (50,000 units) twice a week for 12 weeks. After those inital 12 weeks, I will have to take 2,000 units of OTC Vitamin D daily. This was a huge answer to many questions that I have had for years. Look what a Vitamin D deficiency can cause:
Vitamin D deficiency symptoms
Vitamin D deficiency may be characterized by muscle pain, weak bones/fractures, low energy and fatigue, lowered immunity, symptoms of depression and mood swings, and sleep irregularities. Women with renal problems or intestinal concerns (such as IBS or Crohn’s disease) may be vitamin D deficient because they can neither absorb nor adequately convert the nutrient.
Vitamin D and weight loss
I’m sure many of you have seen the “diet with dairy” ads launched by the American Dairy Council. Some studies have shown that weight loss does occur with an increase in calcium intake, while others appear to refute this. Since vitamin D is directly involved in calcium absorption, it stands to reason that vitamin D is also a factor in how the body regulates weight.
Moreover, people who have a reduced capacity to mobilize vitamin D often weigh more and have more body fat than those with full capacity. In the past 20 years multiple studies have shown a correlation between higher blood levels of vitamin D and leaner body mass.
To my thinking, what seems essential for us to understand here is the vitamin D connection with insulin resistance. Vitamin D deficiency may contribute to the wide set of disorders associated with metabolic syndrome (syndrome X), as well as to PCOS. In a study published in 2004, the authors saw a 60% improvement in insulin sensitivity in healthy, vitamin D replete adults — and concluded vitamin D was more potent than two prescription medications commonly used to treat type 2 diabetes! But the cadres of drug reps spread out across America are not likely to be reminding your healthcare practitioner about this study. They are not likely to have heard about it!
Clearly, vitamin D seems to be very important in regulating our weight, but we don’t yet understand the mechanism involved or how it relates to our environment and individual biochemistry. Still, there seems to be a correlation between rising rates of obesity and vitamin D deficiency. If you are having difficulty with insulin resistance or weight gain — or can’t keep the pounds off once you lose them — you may want to have your vitamin D levels checked by your healthcare practitioner.
How do I know if I need testing?
Today we know the prevalence of vitamin D deficiency is widespread, and for this reason feel testing is easily justifiable for all people. Everyone stands to benefit from knowing what their levels are and, if not optimal, supplementing their vitamin D3 intake. But we also recognize that for whatever reason, not everyone will choose to get tested.
Still, at the very minimum, people who have or are at higher risk of the following health concerns should seriously consider getting their vitamin D levels tested:
family history or personal history of cancer
hypertension (high blood pressure) (CHECK)
schizophrenia
depression (CHECK)
migraines (CHECK)
epilepsy
osteoarthritis (CHECK)
autoimmune conditions (such as lupus, ankylosing spondylitis, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis) (CHECK)
PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) (CHECK)
diabetes mellitus (both types 1 and 2)
fibromyalgia (CHECK)
osteoporosis/osteopenia (CHECK)
In addition, anyone who experiences symptoms of:
musculoskeletal pain, including joint pain and low back pain (CHECK)
muscle weakness (CHECK)
poor balance (CHECK)
systemic inflammation (CHECK)
So, I'm hoping that as I continue to take the Vitamin D supplements and Savella, that I'll start to feel better and be able to get back to the gym, have more energy, and a lot less pain.






















Hoping things start looking up for you soon.
ReplyDelete*hugs*
I tell you, Allison, Vitamin D will make a BIG difference in your life! I was diagnosed as deficient in Vitamins D and B12. Immediately I got 2000 IU Vitamin D and within 30 minutes of taking it, I felt worlds better! More energy, better mood, less body pain. AWESOME. I'm not saying it's a cure-all, but you will see a difference, I'm sure. Keep it goin girl! You can do it!!
ReplyDelete