Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Numbers

I received some of answers the Endocrinologist (PA) was looking for; however, I only got the answers from the nurse and not from the practitioner herself (we played a mean game of phone tag) so I don't have what we're going to do about them.

Here's what I do know:

1. My Thyroid is fine. It's not under active or overactive. It's just active.

2. My fasting Glucose was 114. Now, you're not considered "Diabetic" unless it's over 120; however, they prefer for it to be under 100.

3. My Liver functions are elevated. I was not given the numbers and again, I haven't spoken with the PA to get some answers as to why or what could have caused it.

4. My Cholesterol is 238 and they want it under 200. Must lower by at least 39 points!

5. My Triglycerides are 194 and they want it under 150. Must lower by at least 45 points!

6. My LDL (read: bad cholesterol) is 151 and they want it below 100. Must lower by at least 52 points.

7. My HDL (read: good cholesterol) is 48 and that is GOOD~!

8. My blood pressure on the day of visit was 120/78

9. My pulse was 118. That's high. Should be under a hundred and around 80 is optimal.

So, now my goals have gone from just losing weight and getting healthy by appearance so we can adopt, but to also get these numbers where they are supposed to be.

Also, we had talked that day about the history I have had with Metformin (stomach upset, diarrhea, stomach cramps, etc) and the PA discussed the option of perhaps putting me on Actos. She said that Actos tends to change the way the body processes carbs and will probably cause me to gain "a little bit of weight." When I pressed her on what her definition of "a little bit" was, she said, "maybe 10 pounds."

Whoa, Nelly...!!!! I wanted to grab her by the shoulders, shake her violently, while asking her: "Did you NOT just hear me tell you I have worked my fanny off to lose 10 pounds and with PCOS it's almost impossible to lose weight you skinny little pixi???"

However, just like in a good television drama, I awoke from my state of day dreaming and kindly turned down her offer, should medication become something that I need. I will just put up with Metformin's side effects until they go away rather than opening myself up to the possibility of gaining even as "little" (and I use that word sparingly) as 10 pounds.

I mean, honestly, I have been dealing with severe pain from Fibromyalgia for years. I've been treated not by opiates but by an anti-depressant Cymbalta in doses higher than what is usually prescribed for Depression, to combat the pain. I have quit taking the Cymbalta because it was making me MORE depressed than taking my pain away. Decisions, Decisions!! I have had the option of Lyrica which is designed specifically for Fibromyaliga; however, I have not allowed my doctor to prescribe me Lyrica because one of the side effects is "weight gain." So, to make a long, rambling story short, if I have not utilized a medication to combat persistent and severe, almost debilitating pain, then why in the world would I just go ahead and accept this doctor's recommendation to go on a medication to assist with insulin usage/production when there is something else that does the same thing, helps me lose weight, but seems to come with a little bit of uncomfortable and somewhat unmentionable side effects?

That's just my thoughts on the matter. I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on television, but I'm pretty sure I've heard something stupid when I've heard it.

In other news, I finally made my way back to the gym today. I worked out on my usual weight machines, NuStep (35 minutes!!!), 10 minutes on the hand-peddler thingy (sorry..don't have the real name for the machine) and I did 4 minutes on the rowing machine.

Prior to going to the gym, I did a home visit to one of my participants who lives in a fourth floor apartment. She does not have an elevator. She lives on the top floor that you are only able to access by climbing 98 steps.

When I looked up and saw the first set of steps from the entry way, I thought "you've got to be kidding me." Then as I continue to climb only to turn a corner and find more steps to climb, I thought "I'm going to die. I'm seriously going to die". But I didn't. In fact, what would have previously caused me to take breaks on every landing or every 10 or so steps, I was able to climb all of them and only take 3 breaks to catch my breath. That is a HUGE accomplishment for me. But I think that aided in making my knees so sore (and of course they are shot from carrying around 200 extra pounds for all these years) that I wasn't able to keep working out on machines requiring me to bend at the knee. Hence more than half of the time I put into the rowing machine was just me rowing with my arms and not with my feet/knees bending.

I still hate the treadmill. Somethings never change.

3 comments:

  1. Rock on girl, you can do it and we'll be here for you!

    p.s. love the new look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think climbing the stairs probably equaled out the rowing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Allison, my name is Abby and I'm currently on a weight loss journey, as well. I found you via Diana, who designed my jewelry blog (and I've secretly got my fingers crossed to get her to redesign my weight loss blog, The Gradually Shrinking Violet, too!)

    Anyway, I just wanted to say that you are truly inspirational and I'm really enjoying your blog. We are sisters in this fight, and I just wanted to drop by and cheer you on! Stay true to yourself and your goals, and you WILL accomplish them!

    Hugs,
    Abby

    ReplyDelete

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved | Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations